Saturday, April 11, 2009

Morgan Art of Papermaking Conservatory and Educational Foundation

     When I was visiting my sister in Cleveland, we went to a triple opening at the Morgan Art of Papermaking Conservatory and Educational Foundation (whew! there's a mouthful!).  The shows were the Art Books Cleveland Salon Show, Monumental Ideas in Miniature Books and Trifold - Book, Print, Pulp.  As with all such shows, there were good, bad and indifferent works.    And the design of the miniature book show left a bit to be desired.  Some of the pieces were crammed together, so that one couldn't get a good look at them, and one tunnel book was so far below anyone's eye level that you had to bend waaaaay down to see it.

Below are some of my favorites:
 Japanese Book Bottom Cut I, by Gene Epstein

 
Movement VI, by Hyoyoung Shin

 
Fish Book, by Amy Fishbach (okay, I love it in part because of the pun)!

  I think it's a wonderful thing that Cleveland has a papermaking/book arts place.  But they have some issues.  As you can see from the image at the top, this place is huge!   Too huge, in fact.  I'm told they shut down in the winter because they can't heat it properly.  That's a real shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment