Saturday, March 21, 2009

Open Books


Over the last year or so,  I've seen tables/booths for Open Books, a Chicago literacy organization, at various book-related events, such as the Printers Row Book Fair (less than three months away - can't wait!).    They had a table at the Association of Writers and Writing Programs book fair, and were promoting an event called "Party with a Purpose".    The words "book swap" were mentioned.  Oh, dear.   Put together a good cause and an opportunity to acquire books, and I'm there.

I went through various shelves/piles/boxes and gathered a stack to bring.  And I am proud, not to mention a bit shocked, to say that I actually brought home fewer books than I brought.   I didn't want to be a pig about it.

The damage:
Eyewitness to history, edited by John Carey
Legal fictions : short stories about lawyers and the law, edited by Jay Wishingrad
A darker place, by Laurie R. King (whose Mary Russell and Kate Martinelli series I have enjoyed)
Golden earth : travels in Burma, by Norman Lewis
Tales of graceful aging from the planet denial, by Nicole Hollander (author of the comic strip, Sylvia
Cecil Beaton's Fair lady, Cecil Beaton's diary of the filming of My Fair Lady

It was a fun party, I met and chatted with a variety of interesting folk, and I just may (if I can find the time!) look into volunteering with them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment